- Principal Engineer, Advanced Technology Group
- Research of next-generation technologies, particularly cloud virtualization and containerization
- Worked on several prototype projects involving clustered container orchestration and management
- Contributed a MySQL Galera Cluster application to the Kubernetes project
- Developed a Go application for stress testing MySQL deployments on Kubernetes using Locust
- Developed a complete AWS Deployment setup using Terraform
- Development of automation of Kubernetes clusters with both Fleet and Ansible
- Development of automation for Docker containers and presented a talk at AnsibleFest 2004
- Developed Ansible drivers for HP Switches, Docker, and Nova
- Maintership (bug-fixes and enhancements) of DBD::mysql (Perl driver)
- Presented at various conferences on a number of topics including Ansible, CoreOS, Kubernetes, MySQL, and Docker
- Tecnical Lead for DNSaaS (HP Cloud DNS)
- Built and led a geographically-distributed development team
- Aggressive delivery of project from team creation to GA in 7 month period
- Developed DNSaaS using Designate (Open-source inspired project)
- Architected a backend HA Database Cluster. Built automation necessary virtual infrastructure required such as Galera (Percona XtraDB Cluster) using Chef
- Delired features despite agressive and varying feature list and security requirements
- Tecnical Lead for PaaS Cloud (Platform Services)
- Built and led a geographically distributed team responsible for building a private Openstack-based cloud a private cloud used by various services such as DBaaS (database as a service), LBaaS (Load Balancers as a Service).
- Developed full-automation of build-out of a 3-AZ (availability-zone) Openstack cloud (on hardware) using Saltstack (python)
- Architected HA database backend using Galera (Percona XtraDB Cluster)
- Database Consultation with Samsung (Seoul, Korea). Developed architectural plan for MySQL database HA and Scale-out to accomodate growth for Samsung Apps
- Architected, designed and developed DBaaS (Database as a Service)
- Assumed management of database systems for HPCS
- developed and implemented automation of database systems using
- developed database HA plan
- Optimized database openstack schemas and provided consultation to various
service teams for query performance improvements
- Optimized datbase settings to improve overall system performance
- Developed and implemented a backup and recovery system
- Provide architectural expertise to various clients for various
application components including:
- Database scaling, redundancy and high availability both for MySQL and NoSQL
- Custom storage engine development and support, including fixing replication incompatibility and porting to newer versions of MSQL.
- Database health check and audit.
- Development of database sharding both in the application layer and schema
- Implementation and management of numerous replication schemes and topographies
- Schema and index optimization
- Application caching
- Implementation and management of database backup systems.
- Provide expertise in operating system and database configurations
- Development of information such as customer procedural documents as well as information and tips available to the public via blogging.
- Released several versions of both DBD::mysql and DBD::drizzle (Perl
- Released a new version of the FederatedX Storage Engine as part of
the MariaDB project
- Contributed to the development and testing of the Membase Database
- Worked on porting Membase to Microsoft Windows
- Developed and managed the build system for both Membase and
- Developed the command-line interface tools for Membase
- Ported memcached and libmemcached to Microsoft Windows platforms using mingw (GNU Compiler Collection)
- Released Drizzle Memcached Functions (UDF)
- Released Drizzle sleep() UDF
- Released several versions of Memcached Functions for MySQL (UDF)
- Released DBD::drizzle Perl driver for Drizzle
- Various releases of DBD::mysql (Perl MySQL database client)
- Implemented automated build system using Buildbot, producing Windows binaries for company product
- Contributed to the development of moxi (memcached proxy)
- Tested various monitoring and system automation schemes. Implemented monitoring using Nagios and Cacti, automation using Puppet.
- Tested serveral key/value stores as solutions for scale-out including Tokyo Cabinet/Tyrant. Added Tokyo Cabinet support to internal key/value testing tool (C++)
- Implemented support for PHP and MySQL for Tripod users. This included: Integrating back-end database PHP and MySQL database servers into the existing Tripod infrastructure, modifying various PHP applications (Drupal, Gallery, Joomla, Mediawiki, etc) as well as implementing a PHP application installer and MySQL database administration tool.
- Migrated various applications from using Oracle to MySQL
- Provided MySQL consultation to operations group
- Designed, implemented, and managed Database Architecture schema and infrastructure, consisting of multiple-master, multiple-slave replication
- Built mod_perl web applications, back-end server applications to support Grazr Web 2.0 applications
- Developed Grazr Database User Defined Functions (UDF) and grazrd socket server used for initiating back-end, event-driven processing initiated from within MySQL.
- Implementated Search Engine functionality using Sphinx SQL Fulltext Search Engine
- Designed and implemented database scaling using the blackhole storage engine in conjunction with replication.
- Implemented system monitoring with Nagios and performance measurement with Cacti
- Set up remote data center to host development machines
- Designed, Developed, and implemented MySQL Federated Storage
Engine. Added SQL Language support to the MySQL parser to support
- Maintainer and developer of DBD::mysql perl database driver.
Implemented prepared-statement support as well as other features,
enhancements and bug-fixes. Respond to community requests and questions.
mysqlslap MySQL benchmarking and load emulation tool.
- Worked as a member of the Falcon Storage Engine team
- Fixed bugs and added features to various MySQL server and client
components such as
mysqldump backup utility and database partitioning
- Developed server build automation tools, including Windows MySQL
server binary builds.
- Assumed role as build engineer and produced various MySQL server
- Developed various utilities to assist docs team in producing DocBook XML-based
- Re-architected Slashdot.org software and re-released as a well-managed open source project.
- Managed core development team.
- Stabilized Slashdot.org by reconfiguring and optimizing application database and source code, server hardware, and server OS. Normalised database for better performance.
- Developed many code features in Slash (mod_perl-based) including site administration UIs, traffic management functionality, security enhancements, content filtering, and user management UIs.
- Developed and implemented systems configuration, both in capacity and security setup of database and web servers.
- Developed database-driven detection and reporting tools used to control robots and unusually excessive web client hits.
- Launched Slashcode.com.
- Performed code design and review of Slash codebase. Documented entire codebase and created ERD for existing database schema.
- Re-architected Linux.com and Newsforge.com news sites. Developed new features and migrated data from existing website databases.
- Develped and Launched Sourceforge Foundries.
- Technical Manager of applications group.
- Developed database-driven web applications for automotive manufacturers and dealers.
- Performed DBA tasks such as database schema design, implementing database monitoring
tools, and working with Oracle Technical Services for initial Oracle implementation.
- Developed data importation utilities to accommodate various forms of exported data
from multiple sources to Oracle and MySQL.
- Developed intranet for Toyota with on-line employee training and performance tools.
- Developed an email harvesting application.
- Developed a VIN decoding application.
- Developed and launched web sites for daily local area newspapers Eastside Journal, South County Journal, The Daily Times, and Mercer Island Reporter.
- Automated delivery of editorial content to web sites.
- Developed complete automation of Ad One Classified Network data to publish classifieds on web sites.
- Performed Sytems adminstration duties including security setup and configuration, Operating system installation, Web Server Configuration as well as router and network configuration
- Radius North Communications - Principal 01/07 - 06/10
- Classmates Online - Senior Softare Devloper (contract) 2/03 to 8/03
- T-Mobile - Senior Systems Engineer (contract) 10/02 to 2/03
- Newscope Technology 1/96 to 9/96
- McCaw Cellular/AT&T Wireless - Test Engineer (contract) 9/95 - 1/96
- Siemens Ultrasound Group - Production Technician (contract) 1/93 - 6/95
- Pacific Spectrum Technologies - Field Service Technician 8/92 - 1/93
- US Navy - Fire Control Technician (Electronics Technician) 8/86 - 8/92